Friday, November 16, 2007

Hero Octane DTB1

After thinking about it for many years, I finally went and got myself a bicycle again! I was looking primarily for a cycle that would be lighter than a steel-frame one. I also didn't want to spend too much, since I didn't know how much I would be riding a cycle after more than ten years off the saddle. After some internet research, I decided that Hero Cycles made some alloy cycles that were within my budget. Went to the local Hero showroom, and a few test rides later, was the proud owner of a Hero Octane DTB1. (On prodding, the dealer revealed that DTB stood for Dirt Terrain Bike. Whatever!)

Since I found few pictures of this cycle on the internet, here are some hi-res scans of amateur pics I took inside my apartment:

3*7 speed Shimano gears, with rotational shifters. Observe the lack of a carrier, and the plastic mudguards. No pillion-riding on this bike for sure ;) But I'll need to figure out a way to strap on luggage for the long multi-day rides...

Closeup of the rear suspension. The stiffness of the spring is adjustable using a hand-screw:
The quick-release seat. One drawback I later realized, is that the seat has no support springs, making it quite hard and uncomfortable for longer rides:

The bicycle cost me Rs 5,600 in Pune. Senti bought a slightly different cycle called the DTB2 at the same time as I did, and for the same price. Cycling days are here again!

No comments: